Saturday, July 23, 2005

Rant: Something Beautiful

I came across these quotes from two famous historical Indian figures, Nehru and Gandhi. The two quotes are so similar that I got confused between the two and also to who said what to whom. The quotes goes like this.

John F. Kennedy: "What do you think of our Peace Corps?"
Jawaharlal Nehru: "A good idea, privileged young Americans could learn a lot from the poor villagers of South Asia."

An English Reporter: "What do you think of Western Civilization, Mr. Gandhi."
Mohandas Gandhi: "I think it would be a very good idea."

Good, I got that cleared out. Although, I pretty much doubt the quote from Gandhi because I could not find the name of the reporter that asked that question anywhere on the Internet or any authentic source.

If some reporter had asked me that question then I would have replied with one of these answers:

  1. "How could something so beautiful ever be so ugly?"
  2. "How could something so beautiful spurt out so much evil?"
  3. "How could something so marvelous cause so much death and destruction?"

6 comments:

  1. To tell you the truth I have no idea what Nehru meant by his answer, what does he mean by "privileged young Americans could learn a lot from the poor villagers of South Asia." what does that have to do with the question??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think Gandhi has any idea what he's talking about, he's just going "hmm...I like your question I think I'll reply with a totally rhetorical answer, by the way what was the question?" hahahahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gandhi's answer was really witty if you take into consideration the context and the times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a long history lesson that I don't feel like going into right now.

    ReplyDelete